Husband: Arthur HEISE
Born: January 7, 1918 in: Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio Died: January 10, 1953 in: the Korean War Buried: in: Arlington National Cemetery Father: Ferdinand HEISE Mother: Ida FITZ
Wife: Jeanette Delaine PASCOE
Born: September 2, 1923 in: Albert, Barton County, Kansas Died: July 6, 1996 in: Sonoma, Sonoma County, California Buried: in: Arlington National Cemetery Father: Richard West PASCOE Mother: Elsie Ann MERTEN
Married: March 4, 1944 in: Great Bend, Barton County, Kansas

Arthur graduated from Parma-Shaff High School in 1936, he then attended Max Hays Trade School on Eagle Ave. (now Herman Ave.) in Cleveland, Ohio. The Max Hays Trade School had a four year carpenter's apprentice course where Art studied part-time and worked for his father the rest of the time.

Art was one of the first men to be drafted by the new Selective Service 25 February 1941. He was inducted at Ft. Hays, Ohio on 28 February 1941 and then on to Chanute Field, IL for Airplane Mechanic training. In November of 1942 Art went to flight school training in Santa Ana, CA and was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant (SN O-750985) in the US Army Air Corps 28 July 1943, then on to "four engine pilot" school in Roswell, NM until 4 October 1943. From 5 October 1943 through 31 December 1943 Art was stationed with the 678th Sq., 444th Bomber Group in Great Bend, KS.

On 1 January 1944, the 444th BG was deployed to India where it stay until 14 January 1945 when it then deployed to Tinian of the Mariana Islands. Art was commissioned a 1st Lieutenant 1 March 1944. Art was with the 444th BG until 24 July 1945 when he was detached and sent back to the "states" to be separated. Art was separated from active service 6 January 1946.

Lt. Arthur Heise flew 28 combat missions and had 350 combat hours in B-24's and B-29's during this time. On 14 February 1945 he was awarded the "Distinguished Flying Cross" in General Order 42 from the 20th Air Force for the period from 9 May 1944 to 7 January 1945. He also received three "Air Medals" during his time overseas.

After Art was separated from active service, he returned to Great Bend, KS and worked for Jeanette's father on their farm. Art then moved to Cleveland, Ohio and worked for his father in Heise Homes, Inc. At night he would play the piano in nightspots in and around Cleveland (Art was an accomplished pianist). He then returned to Kansas and worked on Jeanette's father's farm in Great Bend.

Lt. Arthur Heise was promoted to Captain in the USAF Reserves 13 February 1950, and was recalled to active duty 26 February 1951 when he was confirmed as a Captain in the USAF. Capt. Heise was transferred to the 372nd Bomber Sq., 307th Bomber Wing, 20th Bomber Command, SAC in Kadina AFB in Okinawa 1 October 1952 after receiving refresher training in the B-29.

Capt. Arthur Heise was the Aircraft Commander of a B-29 Bomber flying out of Kadina AFB in Okinawa during the Korean War. On 10 January 1953, he was on a bombing mission over the Anju Marshaling Yard, as part of "Stardust" flight--Art's plane was Stardust 39--when his B-29 (Aircraft Number 44-61802) was hit by enemy fire from "Migs" immediately prior to bombs away (2038 hours). Stardust's fighter escort was not with them because they had been briefed to join up with Stardust 37, 30 minutes later--either Stardust was early or the fighter escort was late. Immediately following bombs away and while still under attack the aircraft started losing altitude. A "Mayday" call was received from the aircraft at 2048 hours. At 2053 hours the aircraft commander reported "Hit Bad, have wounded men, will try to get to K-13". After crossing the river Chinnampo, at 2106 hours the aircraft commander reported "We are bailing out, number-three engine on fire". Twelve of thirteen members of the crew bailed out--and reported that they never saw Capt. Heise' parachute. Capt. Heise flew the burning B-29 toward friendly lines whil eUSAF Fighter Jets followed him, however, the B-29 continued to descend until it hit the side of a mountain (BT 7550) at approximately 2117 hours and exploded. It is believed that Capt. Heise was trying to get as close to friendly lines as possible before deciding to bail out, and possibly thought that he could make it over the ridge of the mountain that he finally crashed into. When friendly forces got to the wreckage, there was no trace of Capt. Heise. All twelve crew members were repatriated under "Operation Big Switch", and another POW (a Major David F. MacGhee)reported that a Chinese interrogator informed him that the North Koreans had found Capt. Heise' remains in the wreckage. Capt. Heise was declared dead 12 January 1954 and a M.I.A. marker was placed in Arlington National Cemetery, Memorial Section H-391.

Capt. Heise flew 16 combat missions and had 110 combat hours in B-29's and was awarded a fourth "Air Medal" during this time. He was awarded the "Silver Star" and "Purple Heart" posthumously.

Capt. Heise's Citation for the Silver Star was authorized by the Far East Air Forces Headquarters General Orders Number 215 on 2 May 1953 and read as follows: "Captain Arthur Heise, AO750985, United States Air Force. Captain Heise distinguished himself by gallantry in action against an enemy of the United Nations as Aircraft Commander of a B-29 type aircraft, 372d Bombardment Squadron, 307th Bombardment Wing, Medium, on 10 January 1953. On that date, approximately five minutes before reaching the assigned target, two members of the crew were wounded and two engines and the elevator surfaces were so seriously damaged by enemy fighter attacks that it was impossible to maintain the assigned bombing altitude. Considering the importance of the target, the Auju Marshaling Yards, Captain Heise elected to complete the mission, and descended to emergency altitude to continue the bomb run. [It should be pointed out that a big part of a bomber's defense is to stay with the flight group, once separated from the flight group, the enemy fighters will be drawn to the lone bomber like wolves to a wounded calf.] Despite continued enemy fighter attacks, Captain Heise successfully bombed the assigned target, and headed the aircraft toward a friendly forward airfield. Even though abandonment of the aircraft was imminent, Captain Heise chose to attempt reaching an emergency airfield in order to provide greater safety for his wounded crew members and insure immediate medical attention. However, afire in the aircraft necessitated a bail-out. Captain Heise's decision to delay abandonment of the aircraft greatly enhanced the chances of survival of his wounded crew members by allowing them sufficient time to prepare for bail-out. The exceptional gallantry and devotion to duty displayed by Captain Heise were in keeping with the highest traditions of the service, and reflected great credit upon himself, the Far East Air Forces, and the United States Air Force."

It only needs to be said that Art never forgot that he was an enlisted man first and all his crew genuinely liked and respected him, as evident by the communications that Art's wife has received since the end of the Korean War.

Jeanette remarried one year after Art's death on 29 January 1954 in Great Bend, Barton County, KS to Robert William Earl, son of Orrin Kinsley Earl and Dorothea Rouse. Jeanette and Robert had two sons who are half-brothers to Richard and Robert. At some point after Jeanette married Robert Earl, her two sons from Art, Richard and Robert, changed their last name from Heise to Earl. It is unclear, at this time, whether Robert William Earl adopted Richard and Robert Heise. Jeanette is buried next to Art in Arlington National Cemetery (or so we have been told).

This information has been collected from numerous sources including many other researchers.  Not everything here has been verified and there may be errors.

E-mail Me

    Free Website Statistics